Here is a quick and tasty recipe to get back into blogging again after I got back from a month spent across the pond. This one is nice and simple and you will have dinner ready within half an hour. The shiitake mushrooms give a nice depth of flavor and its perfect just served with rice or with another quick stir fry veg on the side. A very tasty dish with very little effort!
Chinese Braised Chicken with Shiitake Mushrooms
Prep Time:Â 10 mins
Cook Time:Â 20 mins
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 800g chicken thigh (or half chicken)Â chopped to small pieces (with bones included or without for ease of chopping)
- 2 Tbsp Shaoxing Rice Wine
- 2 carrotsÂ peeled and cut to bite-sized chunks
- 200g fresh shiitake mushroomsÂ stalks removed
- 4 stalks of spring onionsÂ sliced to 5 cm lengths
- 1.5 inch ginger slices, smashed or crushed
- 4 garlic clovesÂ bruised
- 2 chopped red chillies
- 150ml water
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or normal sugar
- corianderÂ for garnishing
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauceÂ reduce if you don’t want the sauce to be too dark coloured
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- Heat oil in wok and add chicken. Stir fry until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add shaoxing rice wine, and cook till absorbed.
- Add ginger, and garlic, cook for a couple of minutes. Add carrots, mushrooms, spring onions, chilli, water and sauces. Stir to mix well. Cover with lid and let the contents simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over with tongs so that they can absorb the braising liquid. Add sugar for sweetness and a beautiful glazed finish. Simmer with lid closed for another 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Garnish with coriander.
Leave a Reply